Diploma Production and Quality Management Important Questions
We have added Diploma Production and Quality Management Important Questions for the five units. You can download Diploma Production and Quality Management Important Questions as pdf
Part – A (Three Marks)
1. List the types of production. Short notes on any one type.
2. What is process plan?
3. Define Process Planning.
4. What is the concept of process planning?
5. What is the information required to do process planning?
6. What are the objectives of process planning?
7. What are the factors that affect the process planning?
8. What is / Write a note on manual process planning.
9. Define automated process planning.
10. What are the two approaches of CAPP?
11. What is retrieval type CAPP?
12. What are the advantages of generative process planning?
13. State the advantages of CAPP?
14. Define a line balancing.
15. What is the principle of line balancing?
16. What is the objective of line balancing?
17. Define cost control.
18. What is Cost Reduction?
19. Define Value Engineering.
20. What do you mean by Value analysis?
21. What are the objectives of value analysis?
22. What is the information needed for the value analysis?
23. What are the advantages of value analysis?
24. What are the applications of value analysis?
25. What is Process Selection?
26. State the choices involved in process selection.
27. What are the factors that affect process selection?
28. What is machine capacity?
29. Write a note on analysis of machine capacity.
30. Write the formula for machine availability.
31. What is the formula for machine efficiency?
32. Explain the use of jigs and fixtures.
33. What is Bill of material?
34. What are the factors influencing the choice of machinery?
35. 2500 components are required for an assembly line. This component is available at he rate of Rs.4 per piece, in the local market. If the same component is to be manufactured in the factory itself, the fixedcost will be Rs.2500/- and the variable cost will be Rs. 2 per piece. Decide whether to make or buy
Part – B (14 Marks)
1. Explain the different types of production.
2. Explain automated process planning with the help of neat sketches. State its advantages.
3. Briefly explain the process planning procedure.
4. Write in brief about the make or buy decision.
5. Describe the make or buy decision using break-even analysis.
6. Explain about the generative process planning and state its advantages.
7. Write in brief about the need of line balancing with an example.
8. Distinguish between cost control and cost reduction.
9. Briefly explain the value analysis technique.
10. Explain the step by step procedure of value analysis.
11. Write in brief about the following
a) Technological choice.
b) Specific component choice.
c) Process flow choice.
12. Explain about the machine capacity.
13. Explain about the analysis of machine capacity.
14. Explain in detail the process and equipment selection procedure.
15. Write in brief about the method determination of man power requirement.
16. Explain the method of determination of machine requirement with and example.
17. Explain the method of determination of material requirements. with an example
18. Write short notes on selection of material selection of jigs and fixtures, selection of tools.
19. Explain the operation planning sheet with diagram.
20. A factory is buying one of the components that go into their product at a total purchase cost of Rs.20 per unit. Their annual requirements of the component=6000 units .It is proposed to make the component in the shop itself, since the variable cost per unit comes to Rs.2 only .It was found that it requires sophisticated machines and the accounts department had worked out and estimated the annual fixed cost of Rs.1,40,000.Should the proposal be accepted? Draw the break even chart find the
minimum level of annual requirements of the component above which making the component would
21. 2500 components are required for an assembly line. This component is available at the rate of Rs.4 per piece, in the local market. If the same component is to be manufactured in the factory itself, the fixed
cost will be Rs.2500/- and the variable cost will be Rs.2 per piece Decide whether to make or buy.
Part – A (Three Marks)
1. Define quality.
2. State the various dimensions of quality.
3. What is brain storming?
4. List out the objectives of brain storming?
5. Define TQM.
6. List the elements of TOM
7. List out any two barriers to TQM implementation
8. Name two basic concept of TQM.
9. What are the pillars of TQM?
10. Write any two characteristics of TQM.
11. State any three benefits of TQM.
12. What is quality council?
13. What is vision statement?
14. What are the mission statements?
15. What is meant by strategic planning?
16. State the seven step procedure of strategic planning cycle.
17. What is customer delight?
18. What are the three elements of Juran triology?
19. What are the four phases of deming wheel or PDCA cycle?
Part – B (14 Marks)
1. Explain briefly the ten principles of quality management.
2. What is brain storming? When brain storming can be used?
3. Draw the flow diagram of activities in brain storming.
4. Explain briefly the various elements of TQM.
5. List the various stumbling blocks while implementing a TOM programme.
6. Explain briefly about pillars of TQM.
7. What is meant by strategic planning? Write the seven step procedure of strategic planning cycle.
8. Describe the Deming Philosophy of fourteen points on route to quality.
9. Explain Customer delight in detail.
10. Give Juran’s ten steps to quality improvement.
11. Explain Juran’s trilogy diagram
12. Explain various steps of PDCA cycle.
Unit – 3
Part – A
1. What is check sheet?
2. What do you use the check sheets?
3. What are the types of check sheets commonly used?
4. What is histogram?
5. What are cause and effect diagrams?
6. Draw a basic cause and effect diagram.
7. What are the purposes of pareto diagram?
8. What is a scatter diagram?
9. List the various techniques to sustain continuous improvement.
10. What is a quality circle?
11. Name the seven tools of quality control.
12. What do you mean by stratification analysis?
13. What are run charts?
14. What are the benefits of Quality Circle?
15. List the new management planning tools.
16. What is affinity diagram?
17. What is a radar diagram?
18. When do you use the affinity diagram?
19. What is relationship diagram?
20. What are the purposes of tree diagram?
21. Under what situations, one can use matrix diagram.
22. List the symbols used for arrow diagram.
23. Why arrow diagrams are called PERT diagrams?
Part – B
1. Discuss in detail about quality circles.
2. What are the steps to be followed to constructing a pareto diagram? Explain with an example.
3. Briefly describe the methodology of constructing and using Pareto diagrams.
4. What is a scatter diagram? Write the procedure to construct scatter diagram for a given problem.
5. Explain the continuous process improvement.
6. Explain briefly the seven tools of quality control.
7. Write in detail about the histogram with an example.
8. Briefly explain the organization of Quality Circle.
9. What are the management planning tools used for problem solving? and explain any three tools.
10. Briefly describe the methodology of constructing an affinity diagram by using an illustration.
11. Explain briefly the method of drawing matrix diagram.
12. Explain the method of drawing matrix data analysis diagram.
13. Explain the construction of decision tree.
14. Briefly explain how a tree diagram is constructed.
15. Explain the construction of arrow diagram.
Unit – 4
Part – A
1. What is control chart?
2. What are the types of control charts?
3. What is the use of control chart?
4. Under what conditions X and R charts are used?
5. What are X and R charts?
6. What do you mean by control charts for attributes?
7. What are P and C charts?
8. Write three limits for a control chart for P.
9. Compare variable chart with attribute chart.
10. When are c-charts used?
11. Define process capability
12. What do you mean by process capability index?
13. What is the purpose of process capability analysis?
14. When U chart is used?
15. Give the types of variations.
16. Define fraction defective.
17. Differentiate defect and defective.
18. Define data.
19. Define information.
20. What are the types of data?
21. Define Mean, Median and mode
22. Define mean deviation. Write its formula.
23. Define standard deviation. Write its formula
24. How frequency distribution is represented?
25. Give any two methods of graphical representation of frequency distribution.
26. What is the use of frequency distribution?
27. What do you mean by central tendency?
28. What are the different measures of dispersion?
29. What is dispersion?
30. Define coefficient of variation.
31. What is sigma?
32. What is six sigma?
33. What is normal curve?
34. How six sigma is related to TQM?
35. Why do we need six sigma state?
36. Determine the mean, median and mode for the following data: 59, 77, 82, 82, 49, 49, 60, 78, 66.
37. Find the range of the following observations: 40, 42, 77, 96, 30, 89, 78, 53, 49, 37, 93.
38. Calculate the Mean deviation for weights of four members of team in kgs were, 49, 60, 53, 49.
Part – B (14 marks)
1. Explain the various methods that are used for graphical representation of a frequency distribution.
2. Discuss why standard deviation is considered to best measures of dispersion.
3. Explain briefly the concept of six sigma and state the principles.
4. Describe the steps to be followed for construction of X chart and R chart with an example.
5. Compare X and R chart. Discuss the circumstances in which either of two or a combination of these
will be used for the purpose of control.
6. What control charts are used for attributes? Explain.
7. How do you draw control charts and interpret for controlling the variability? Explain.
8. Briefly describe the process of constructing a p chart.
9. Compare variable charts and attribute charts.
10. Determine the mean and standard deviation from the following:
Size of the item 5 7 10 12 15 18 20
Frequency 5 10 15 20 14 11 6
11. The data refers to the scores of two players of cricket team. Say who is better scorer and who is more
Player – 1 12 115 6 73 7 19 119 36 84 29
Player – 2 47 12 16 42 4 51 37 48 13 0
12. Find the average, median, mode, mean deviation and standard deviation for the following set of data:
30, 27, 25, 25, 27, 27, 28, 30, 30, 24, 26.
13. The Apollo hospital has completed a quality improvement project on the time to admit a patient using
𝑋̅ and R chart. They now wish to monitor the activity using mean and range charts. Determine the central line and control limits with the latest data in minutes as given here.
X1 X2 X3
1 6.0 5.8 6.1
2 5.2 6.4 5.2
3 5.5 5.8 5.2
4 5.0 5.7 6.5
5 6.7 6.5 5.5
6 5.8 5.2 5.0
7 5.6 5.1 5.2
8 6.0 5.8 6.0
9 5.5 4.9 5.7
10 4.3 6.4 6.3
11 6.2 6.9 5.0
12 6.7 7.1 6.2
Assume sample size as 3, A2 = 1.02, D3 = 0 and D4 = 2.57. Also draw up the chart.
14. Tyre is made in lots of 200 each. The number of defectives found in the inspection of 10 lots are recorded and given in the table below:
Lot No. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
No. of Defectives 1 3 0 6 3 9 0 2 4 2
(i). Draw up the np chart and state whether the process is in control
(ii). If the process is not in control, find the new value of mean fraction defective after eliminating
the points outside control limits.
(iii). Examine whether the process is still in control or not.
15. Cell phones were observed and the table gives the number of defects.
No. of cell phones 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
No. of Defectives 2 5 5 6 1 5 1 7
(i). Find the control limits for c-chart
(ii). Draw up the chart
(iii). State whether the process is in control or not
Unit – 5
Part – A
1. What is 5S practice?
2. What is SEITON?
3. What is SEIRI?
4. What is KAIZEN?
5. What is KAIRYO?
6. Define bench marking.
7. List the pit falls of benchmarking.
8. Define JIT.
9. What is TPM?
10. Write the objectives of implementing TPM.
11. List the benefits of implementing TPM.
12. Define lean six sigma.
13. Define DMADV.
14. What do you mean by value stream mapping?
Part – B (14 Marks)
1. What is 5S? Explain all the elements of 5s in detail.
2. Write in detail about the effective implementation of 5S in an organization.
3. Explain the various aspects of KAIZEN.
4. Explain KAIZEN methodology.
5. What are the concepts of JIT? Explain.
6. What are the objectives of JIT?
7. What are the benefits of JIT?
8. What are the objectives of bench marking?
9. Explain the steps in bench marking process.
10. Explain the various steps in implementing TPM.
11. Briefly explain lean six sigma.
12. Explain briefly about DMADV.
13. Describe value stream mapping.