Design of Machine Elements Important Questions
Join Diploma Exam Corner
|Telegram Channel||Click here|
|English Version||Click here|
|Powered by Diploma Exam Corner|
Dear Faculty / Students
Kindly share our links with your faculty & students.
study well, best wishes.
Subject : Design of Machine Elements Scheme : M
Unit – 1, ENGINEERING MATERIALS, JOINTS AND FASTENERS
- The highlighted Questions are asked more than two times in the Board Exam
- These Questions are collected from Board Examination Question Papers.
1. Define factor of safety for ductile and brittle materials (5marks)
- A hydraulic press exerts a total load of 3.5MN. The load is carried by two steel rods supporting the upper heads of the press. If the safe stress is 85MPA and E=210kN/m2. Find (i) diameter of the rods (2) Extension in each rod in a length of 2.5m. (10 marks)
- Design a sleeve and cotter joint to transmit a tensile load of 60kN, assuming that all the parts are made of the same materials. The permissible stresses are 60 N/mm2 in tension, 125 N/mm2 in bearing and 70N/mm2 in shear (15 marks)
- What are the factors to be considered for the selection of materials for the design of machine elements (5 marks)
- Design a knuckle joint to take a load of 140kN for the following permissible stresses 75MPa in tension, 140 MPa in compression and 65MPa in shear. (10 marks)
- Explain preffered number with an example.(5 marks)
- The head of a steam engine cylinder 500mm diameter is subjected to a pressure of 1N/mm2. The head is held in position by 16 numbers of M30 bolts. A copper gasket is used to make the joint steam tight. Determine the stress induced in the bolt. Assume K = 0.5 (10 marks)
- Define creep strain and creep curve (5 marks)
- Define stress concentration. Write its causes and remedies. ( 10 marks)
- Design a sleeve and cotter joint to withstand a tensile load of 60kN. All parts of the joint are made of the same material and the permissible stresses are given below.
ft = 60 N/mm2, fc = 125 N/mm2, fs = 70 N/mm2 (15 marks)
- Define maximum shear stress theory and maximum distortion energy theory.(5 marks)
- In a steam engine cylinder 0f 300mm diameter the maximum pressure across the piston is 0.65 N/mm2. Determine the diameter of the piston rod, if the maximum tensile or compressive stress on the piston is limited to 40 N/mm2(10 marks)